Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alone Time

We left home two months ago. Since then, our home has been a 25 foot travel trailer. Despite the small quarters, we are very comfortable. However, living like this does require we find some personal space. So,  we seem to have fallen into a bit of a routine.


Most days will find us spending several hours at Caspersen Beach. Sometimes we walk the beach together. But, when we need some space, Paul heads out on his own. He would have no problem walking a shoreline 365 days of the year.


In the weeks before we left home, I built up a supply of the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzles. I have found escape in these for years. I knew that I would appreciate having a supply of them when I was on this trip. So, I have been working my way through them while I am at the beach. Sequentially, of course. I am up to January 3rd. And, I must use a certain type of pen.  I can block out anything while working on one of these puzzles.


Except maybe a Caspian tern who stops by for a visit.


Or a Great Blue Heron contemplating his future.


Paul will stop back about once an hour to share what he has found on his walk. He searches for fossils that wash up on the beach. Yesterday was a good day for him. He found BIG shark teeth. See the one in the center of his hand? That's the biggest one he has found this year. We'll talk more about this subject in a future post.


Before you know it,  it is time for everyone to head home for the day.


We all feel renewed when allowed some time to ourselves. It is the small, simple things in life that bring one comfort.


Last night we tried a new recipe we want to share. I'll talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Freely Living Life said...

Beautiful! We all need our personal space. Gladto see you are tkaing time for YOU! :) <3

Marlys said...

Oh, the serenity and catharsis of walking along a beach! One of our customers was recently in Hawaii and said he just hates being near water! How is that possible! I felt serenity just by looking at your pictures! I can almost hear the sound of the waves lapping on the beach. ENJOY!!! And can't wait for the recipe and to hear how "match day" went! Love you!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am envious of your ability to work crossword puzzles. I am just terrible at them! I get so frustrated!! My mom tells me i would get better at them if I kept trying - I don't know if I believe her!

Those pictures are beautiful. So peaceful and relaxing. Sounds like the perfect vacation. I love how you and Paul co-exist together so well. You can each do your own there, but be 'together' at the same time.

I hope I can see you when you are back on match day? Not sure what you guys have planned but I told Suzanne to let me know if you guys celebrate with drinks or dinner. I am sure you will be celebrating Suzanne getting one of her top pics - and hopefully her top pic. :)

Abby said...

I agree with the other comments, just looking at those pictures puts me at "a calm"! So serene!

That is the biggest shart tooth I've ever seen! How neat! The amount of shark teeth at that beach is incredible!!!

I love cross word puzzles! I truly believe they saved mine & Ryan's sanity on our 3 days drive/trek from Grand Forks to Tucson. We did cross word puzzles to pass the time -- Ryan drove, I read, and we solved.

We're a real "wild bunch".